Blog

 

Kids and pet medications: How to keep your kids safe

I ate my dog’s heart worm medication. It wasn’t last week, or even last year; it was at the ripe old age of 3. I don’t know why I did it–an attempt to demonstrate solidarity with my beloved canine companion a cry for attention, case of mistaken identity (it sure looked like candy)? After calling The Poison Control Center in a panic, my father was instructed to give me ipecac syrup, and after I swallowed a heavy dose, my two older sisters were given the job of sitting in the backyard with me until I vomited.

Both of these sisters would later go on to become a physician and veterinarian, and I respectively, give myself particular credit for inspiring their career choices. While syrup of ipecac is no longer recommended as a home remedy for poisonings, children’s curious consumption is something that has unfortunately stood the test of time.


Be the first to comment